We set a goal for 100 views on our blog in a week! Y’all managed to give us that in just two hours of our website going live! We want to say thank you so much!
Now, onto what this blog is about! A wise woman once told us “If you think you love someone, carry them on vacation with you!” It is so easy to think you would get along with someone for extended amounts of time if you see them on a regular basis. However, this just is not the case. By the end of the week, you are ready to ship your bestie, boyfriend, coworker, or whoever you brought with you back to where the hell they came from. It is so important to find someone you are compatible with! This does not mean someone who is just like you. Compatibility means despite your differences you still get along and work well under stressful situations together. Traveling is so fun and often times very relaxing, but it can be hectic at times when flights get delayed or the hotel room will not be ready for another three hours. One thing that is great about us is that we are VERY different and also VERY compatible. We are the CRAZY to the other one’s SANE! We have found that we are complementary in all kinds of situations. We often joke that we have the best of both worlds. Rachel a brunette. Hilary a blonde. Rachel an old soul. Hilary a free spirit. The list goes on and on.
Now being the “Carry On Cousins” that we are, we wanted to give you a little insight as to how we are SO different. When it comes to traveling there are only two things you need to make your trip happen: a carry-on, of course, and MUSIC! Whether you are traveling by bus, plane, train, or car, music is the key to those long stretches of time between you and your destination.
The packing strategies we use differ entirely! Hilary is a fly by the seat of her yoga pants kind of girl. She firmly believes in the idea that plans are meant to be broken. Approaching the night before a travel day, you can find her elbow deep in the closet pulling from her extensive collection of girly blouses, colorful camis, and extensive array of flirty dresses. She shamelessly throws options in that are bold and stylish. She ain’t scared to mix patterns or textures. She is a last minute packer who can stay calm while the clock ticks away. Rachel, on the other hand, is always on the go with her carry on packed and loaded in the car ready when the horn sounds. She lives her life as an organized mess. You may not can find her favorite sneakers but she knows without looking one of them is under her passenger seat and the other is at the bottom of her carry on. Her time spent as a girl scout has taught her to always be prepared. When the time comes to pack she was ready to leave ten minutes ago. Not to mention, she is shaking and trembling scared to death she is going to be late while Hilary is casually looking for her `purse` chapstick.
So without further adieu, here are the top five things we MUST have in our carry on for a successful trip!
5 things Hilary Has to Have in Her Carry On
- Travel Size (we like to call it “baby”) Vaseline – I have to have this with me because I need to keep my feet baby soft with absolutely NO blisters. Honestly, I get sore bruised heels from being on my feet all day at my job. Healthcare ain’t for the faint of heart… or feet.
- Chapstick(s) at least two – Moisturization is KEY!
- Tweezers – The closer you get to thirty the fewer candles you are blowing and the more chin hairs you are plucking! Protip: pluck in the sunlight for optimal plucking pleasure.
- Headphones – I ALWAYS have to have my music playing. I love setting up a playlist for travel days. DJ HILLY in the house!
- Yoga Pants – The most versatile clothing item ever! You can dress them down with a sports bra or dress them up with a blazer.
5 Things Rachel Has to Have in Her Carry On
- Snacks – Snacks are life. IDK why this ain’t on Hilary’s list
- Something to read – I am tired of reading about the new airline credit card pamphlet tucked in the back of the airplane seats… When I get bored, the world is in imminent danger so I need some form of entertainment with me.
- Tide2Go Pen – Snacks can get messy… Also, see post “Best Idea Ever” I might fall down in the mud.
- Bluetooth Speaker – While Hilary has her headphones for the plane, once we get in the room we need some jams to pump our tires up while getting ready for the night out on the town! This is where my UE Roll comes in handy!
- Scrunchy- My hair is everywhere! (My favorite are the Dewedit Scrunchies which you can get here )
Now as previously mentioned, music is so important when you travel. It is the soundtrack to your life. You want to have the best background music at all times. Admittedly, this is probably where we disagree the most. Hilary has the best eclectic taste. She is almost always the DJ on the road trips with a playlist for every occasion. Rachel, on the other hand, often just clicks on the radio and lets the station control what is going to be played. Which means if she turns on the radio in Alabama, it is going to be country music. Hilary HATES country music. (Besides like 90’s country, which we can all agree is a genre all its own)
SO…. We have completed a list of songs for you all that we both love, and songs that we hate.
Songs we both like
- Hell on Heels – Pistol Annies
- Sin Wagon – Dixie Chicks
- Stay with You – John Legend
- Gravity – John Mayer
- Young Dumb & Broke – Khalid
Hilary’s songs that she loves, but that Rachel hates
- En Love – Lizzo
- Sexy Weekend – Scoundrels
- Sway – Heartless Bastards
- Dancing On My Own – Robyn
- Show Me Love – feat. Kimberly Anne Sam Feldt
Rachel’s Songs that she loves, but that Hilary hates
- Whiskey – Jana Kramer
- Twenty One – Corey Smith
- Faithfully – Journey
- Gravel – Muscadine Bloodline
- I Got Away with You – Luke Combs
Finding your compatible traveling partner is so important. Honestly, it does not matter where you go, it is who you are with that makes the trip a memory that lasts a lifetime. There are weekends that we have spent lying around on the couch not doing a single thing but breathing, and it was the best rejuvenating weekend ever. We both encourage you to find your person and make the most out of your everyday lives. Life is about experiences, adventures, and most of all memories. Around these parts, we like to say “Make memories, not plans”. Don’t sit around waiting for life to come to you, go chase after all the things that make you happy!